In countries of a billion people, you will never feel alone.
I land first in Beijing, enveloped by old memories of my trip to China last year. It was one of the best vacations Ive ever had. Blue sky and perfect weather the whole time I was here last year. I was fascinated by the great beauty and precision of China, hanging on the other extreme of chaos you will find in India. I pray that this time around, it would be just as beautiful as the last.
I go through to the taxi stand and start the soon to be regular routine of pointing, mimicking, and attempting to communicate in my nearly non-existant Mandarin
Wo de piku hen ta* - my last vestige of Mandarin would not be useful here.
We get to the hotel located so close to The Forbidden City and Tiananmen square. In 1946, the Jade Garden Hotel was the headquarters of the communist ceasefire delegation and was designated a historical landmark. The facade a similar representation to the rest of the hutongs with its grey brick facade.
I walk out and decide to head to The Temple of Heaven, a location I had missed on my last trip to China. Even in Beijing's great hustle and bustle, I love that you can head to quiet locations just for yourself.
By the time I get to The Temple of Heaven, admissions have been closed. I opt instead to just walk around and enjoy the evening activities around the park. I head towards the Hall of Prayers and hear a slap slap nearby. I walk on to see a long row of elder people playing card games along the corridors. Slapping down their cards. I hear singing emanating through the park, with beautiful string instruments playing in the background. Kites flying in the air. Cypress trees forming a forest. Walking alone and barely seeing other people.
I watch as groups of people kick around a shuttlecock, an interesting mix of Sepak Takraw from Malaysia with a fusion of badminton. The old people dont look so old, fit in age, and healthy. They stretch to tai chi, wave their hands to modern dance and pause in wushu, their swords pointing directly at me.
As I leave, a pink sunset descends, and I look behind me to see the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest in the background. In the foreground, soft waltz music and an entire group of people learning the dance. They start separately, men and women practising on their own and then they merge, partner to partner, cheek to cheek.
You are reminded then of great beauty in this world.
***
Day 2
I leave my hotel and walk towards my office, realizing as we got there that its actually located within the Forbidden city itself. Why of why cant my company's office be located in as cool a place.
It isnt within the Forbidden City proper, but within one of the gates leading to the city. It turns out that we share the location with other NGOs but there is enough room for everyone. They have kept the old facade of the building, but instead opted to decorate the inside with bad copies of European art. Completely disconnecting from the beauty of the place.
After our meeting I walk outside with my manager and was greeted by the sight of a group of soldiers/ guards marching around as four different couples take their wedding pictures in this picturesque location. It is amazing, really how much more laid back it felt by just having an office in this location.
I look forward to returning and working here again hopefully not in the distant future.
No comments:
Post a Comment