I am finally here. The crisp clean air, and bright sunshine welcomes me to my first day in Amsterdam. Fortunately I managed to sleep quite a bit on my overnight 12 hours flight into this city, and have evaded jet lag quite a bit.
The orange, browns and greens of leaves on the ground,with the sunlight shining through invites me back to Europe. Oh how I have missed you. Amsterdam is quieter. And I almost laugh out lout with glee at the sight of all the bicycles cruising by. I feel like an ant here. I am about a head shorter than almost everyone on average and wearing my high heels no longer an option.
I walk. After all its the best way to feel a city, feel its heartbeat. I walk over bridges and canals with their boats moored by. I walk through the boulevards with leaves falling gently down on me. I cannot wait to have my coffee outside, wrapped in my long wool jacket.
My fashion sense needs to be re-wired and it takes me much much longer than my usual 10 minutes to get dressed to assess what would keep me warm. For now, function (semi) triumphs over fashion.
I am reminded so much of Paris. I cannot wait to return to my European cliche. As I walk around, I am still astounded. It is taking a while to sink in. But this is it. I live here now. I belong in Amsterdam.
It has been a while since butterflies last floated through my stomach. This is it. I have returned, and I cannot wait for the adventures to begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment